I live outside the Town limits. Who provides water and sewer services to my neighborhood?
The Town of Warrenton serves the corporate limits as well as Ivy Hill, Warrenton Lakes, Windsor Ridge, and Foxland Village subdivisions.
I just moved into the Town of Warrenton, how do I get my water turned on?
New residents should contact Town Hall (540-347-2678). You will need the following information when you call:
- Street address where service is to be connected.
- Social Security Number and employment information.
- Landlords name and address if renting.
- The date you need service to be connected.
You may request water and sewer services be connected or disconnected using our on-line Water & Sewer Services Form. Please be sure to include a daytime telephone number so we may contact you with any questions.
What are my options in paying my water, real estate or personal property tax bills?
The easiest way to pay these Town bills is on-line, using either the Quick Pay feature or create you own My Town account - both SAFE AND SECURE - both EASY to use. You may pay current amounts at any bank located within the Town limits and at some other branches of local banks. You can also use Master Card or Visa in person at Town Hall or by mail. For a supply of mail credit card vouchers, please call (540) 347-1102.
What should I do if I am unable to pay my water bill or taxes before the due date?
Please give us a call at (540) 347-2678, we will do our best to help.
I just moved into the Town of Warrenton. What do I do now?
The first thing you need to do is get settled into your new home and become familiar with the community. Getting utilities connected and addresses changed, locating doctors, supermarkets, etc., will take the first week or so. Once you have taken care of the essentials, the following things need to be done:
- Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to change the addresses on your vehicle registrations and drivers licenses. If you have moved from another state, you will need to register your vehicle(s) and apply for a Virginia permit.
- File a declaration of Tangible Personal Property Return with the Commissioner of Revenue, Fauquier County. For additional information, please call (540) 422-8150. Both the Town and County pro-rate personal property. You must do this within 60 days of moving in to avoid a penalty.
- Purchase a Town decal for all vehicles garaged within the Town limits. This can be done through the US mail or by visiting Town Hall, 18 Court Street. For additional information please call (540) 347-1102.
- Obtain a Virginia State Inspection sticker for all motor vehicles. There are a number of local service stations and garages that are licensed by the Commonwealth to inspect vehicles. These locations normally have a sign that designates them as a State Inspection Station.
I just purchased a new home. My real estate taxes are paid to my mortgage company as part of my monthly payment. How can I be certain the real estate taxes on my home are paid in a timely manner?
Good question - especially during the first year of ownership and each time your mortgage is sold to another company. Your mortgage company must request, in writing, the tax bill on your property for each due date. If you think your Town taxes have not been paid, or simply wish to confirm that they have been paid, please call the Finance Department at (540) 347-1102. You can also check the status of taxes as they are paid through your My Town account.
I will be moving out of Town next month. Is there anything I need to do before I leave?
As the Town pro-rates personal property taxes, you should notify the Town Finance Department, Fauquier County Commissioner of Revenue and the Department of Motor Vehicles and provide each with a forwarding address. By taking care of this before you leave, you will reduce the chance of receiving an incorrect personal property tax bill.
I recently moved into Town from another jurisdiction. I have a decal that does not expire until next year. Do I need to purchase a Town of Warrenton decal or is the one from the other jurisdiction good until the expiration date?
You will need to purchase a Town of Warrenton decal within thirty days of your arrival date. We can issue a transfer decal for your decal from the other jurisdiction for $1.00 if you scrape the decal off your windshield and bring it with you to Town Hall. It is important that you get enough of the old sticker so that the expiration date is shown.
Why do I pay taxes to both the Town and the County and what does a Town resident get for paying these additional taxes?
The reason taxes are paid to the Town and to the County is explained by the Town Manger in a paper entitled - Double Taxation.
Why is my water bill so high?
A higher than usual water bill is usually an indication of a leak. Most of the time the leak can not be seen or heard. The first thing that should be done is to check the toilet by putting food coloring in the tank and letting the water sit for thirty minutes without flushing. If the water in the bowl turns color then there is a slow leak. If it doesn't seem to be the problem then perhaps a plumber should be called to check the pipes. Once everything has been checked and there isn't any problems than contact the Town of Warrenton office at 347-2678. The next step is for an employee to come out and check the water lines going to your house for any leaks.
Why didn't I get my water bill in the mail?
If you do not receive your water bill in the mail, please contact the Town of Warrenton utility billing office at 347-2678. Town of Warrenton Water Bills are always due on the 20th of the month. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, bills are due the next business day. Payments received or postmarked after the due date will be charged a $5.00 late fee.