PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TOWN COUNCIL HAS ELIMINATED THE DECAL REQUIREMENT STARTING IN 2017. Decals will be required through March 15, 2017. Thereafter, no decal will be required. In place of the decal, a vehicle license fee will be added to your Town Personal Property Tax bill, due December 15th each year.
Vehicle License Decals must displayed on your vehicle by March 15th each year. Decals are available for purchase starting February 1st.
You can purchase your decal using the Town's secure on-line payment program provided that your vehicle is already in our system. Click here to access our online services. If you have any issues, please call our office at (540) 347-1102.
All decal renewal applications are mailed as part of your annual Fauquier County Declaration of Tangible Personal Property Tax. This Form is mailed out each year in February by the Fauquier County Commissioner of the Revenue. Rembember, if you purchase your decal on-line, you still must sign and mail your Declaration of Tangible Personal Property Tax by March 15.
Guidelines for Town Decals
Decals must be displayed on your vehicle by March 15th of each year. Effective July 1, 2003, the cost is $15 for cars/trucks and $10 for motorcycles. Transfer fees are $1.00. To be eligible for the transfer fee rate, you must either 1) produce the remnants of the original decal from the vehicle that was sold, traded-in or disposed of, or 2) sign an affidavit certifying that the original decal was removed from the vehicle that was sold, traded-in or disposed of, and destroyed.
Decal fees for senior citizens (Warrenton citizens sixty-five (65) years or older) are $7.50 for one vehicle decal per year per individual. Citizens 65 or older eligible to purchase a decal at the reduced rate are required to provide proof of age at the time the decal is issued. If you purchase your decal by mail or on-line, you must mail or fax proof of age. If you need assistance, please contact the Finance Department at 347-1102.
Town decals may not be sold if Town or County taxes are owed. All taxes must be paid before decals are issued.
Town residents who are active volunteers for the Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company may receive one (1) free decal each year. Taxes must be paid before issuing a free decal each year. Lists are provided by the fire and rescue companies and only those names on the lists may be issued a free decal.
Town residents who are disabled veterans and have been issued special "DV" plates may receive one (1) free decal as long as no taxes are due. Taxes must be paid before issuing a free decal.
- The Town is unable to honor current decals from other jurisdictions in Virginia for residents who move from another jurisdiction to the Town during a decal year due to pro-ration of personal property taxes.
- Fauquier County does not require or issue decals for residents of Fauquier County, those living outside the corporate limits of the Town of Warrenton.
- Registrations for decals being transferred do not have to be exactly the same. EXAMPLE: Jane Doe transfers to Jane and Harvey Doe.
- Military stickers can be issued for a $1.00 fee to military personnel, not to their spouses.
- Town residents purchasing decals for vehicles with Virginia National Guard tags are not to pay more for the decal than the resident paid for the state plates.
- Decals reduce to one-half the original cost on September 1 and reduce to one-quarter of the original cost on December 15.