The Town's purchasing system operates under the direction & supervision of the Town Manager. The Purchasing Agent acts as the Town's principal public purchasing official and is responsible for the purchase of goods, services, insurance and construction, except where such authority has been assigned or delegated to other persons. The Purchasing Agent is also responsible for the management and disposal of excess, obsolete and salvageable materials and equipment.
The Town purchasing system embodies the principles of empowerment, continuous improvement & efficiency by delegating specified purchasing responsibilities to department heads. The goals of the purchasing system are to:
- EMPHASIZE quality, value, & integrity in all procurements
- DELEGATE purchasing authority when possible & prudent
- EXERCISE positive fiscal control over public expenditures
- PROMOTE administrative efficiency
- COMPLY with the Virginia Public Procurement Act