Applications, Permits, & Forms

Chalkboard on Main Street Reading Walk Ins Welcome

We're online! Online application submissions are now available through our new permitting system. Click the link below to conveniently submit, pay, and receive permits from the Community Development Department. All permits can still be submitted in-office or by email to Please contact us if you have any issues or questions with your submission.

Application forms, checklists, and supplemental materials for applications to the Department of Community Development are available on this page. Your application will be accepted for official review when all necessary documentation and fees have been submitted.

Click here to submit Community Development or Right Of Way permits online!

Fee Schedule

Fee Schedule (PDF) - Department of Community Development permit application fees. 

Building / Zoning Permit Application

Building/Zoning Permit Application (PDF) - Required before constructing, moving, or structurally altering any building or structure. Use this application for gas, plumbing, electrical, or mechanical equipment work and for zoning approvals regarding sheds, fences, zoning letters, address requests, and ordinance text amendments. 

Business License Permit Application

Business License Application (PDF) -  This application requires approval prior to opening a business, moving an existing business located within the Town, or changing ownership for an existing business. The Business License Application also verifies the zoning classification of the business location and any conditions that might apply to the property. Refer to Starting a Business Guide for more information about starting a business within the Town. 

Sign Permit Application

Sign Permit (PDF) - Unless otherwise stated in the Zoning Ordinance (Article 6), all signs shall require a sign permit. Where applicable, signs in the Historic District shall receive approval by the Architectural Review Board (ARB) prior to issuance of a sign permit. A building permit may also be required in conjunction with a sign permit, depending on the sign type and installation method.

Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)

Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF) - A Certificate of Appropriateness shall be obtained before exterior alterations of property within the Warrenton Historic District. See the Zoning Ordinance (Article 3-5.3) for a description of the regulations concerning the Warrenton Historic District. The application deadline is the first of the month or the business day immediately following. View the Architectural Review Board page for more information regarding the COA and the review process.

Pre-Application Meeting Form

Pre-Application Meeting Form (PDF) - Pre-application meetings are available to provide guidance to the applicants prior to submitting a formal application. For required pre-application meetings, email the Planning Manager, who will respond to each request within 15 calendar days of receipt.  A Pre-Application meeting is a requirement prior to submitting the following types of applications:

  • Certificate of Appropriateness (as needed)
  • Comprehensive Plan Amendment
  • Zoning Map Amendment (Rezoning)
  • Special Use Permit

Please note, all documents must be submitted prior to the pre-application meeting!

Land Development Application

Land Development Application (PDF) - This application is to accompany all land development proposals (as-built, site development plan, preliminary/final plat, special use permit, text amendment, rezoning, variance, waiver, etc.). 

Minor Site Development Plan Revision (PDF) - May be submitted for changes that do not necessitate a site development plan nor a site development plan amendment. 

If applicable, include the following with your Land Development Application:

Land Disturbance Permits

Land Disturbance Permit - More than 1 Acre (PDF) and Land Disturbance Permit - Less than 1 Acre (PDF) - No person may engage in any land-disturbing activity until a Land Disturbance Permit (including an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan with necessary bond posted) has been submitted for review/approval by the Town. A copy of the approved Land Disturbance Permit must be posted on-site. See Zoning Ordinance (Article 5-4) for exceptions.

Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion & Sediment Control Plan

Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (PDF) - May be submitted for the construction of a single-family dwelling.

Contact Us

If you have questions regarding any of these documents, please contact:

  • The Department of Community Development at (540) 347-2405