At their discretion, the Town Council will issue proclamations and certificates for noteworthy local events that deserve special recognition.
The Town Clerk handles requests for proclamations. Please review the guidelines below before submitting a request.
Please download, complete form and click submit. Complete the Proclamation Request Form (PDF).
- A Virginia resident must make the request.
- Requests must be made no fewer than 30 days in advance and no more than 60 days in advance of the date you need the proclamation.
- Requests must be completed via this form (PDF). Please download, complete and click submit.
- Neither mailed, faxed, hand-delivered; emailed nor phone requests will be honored.
- Proclamations affecting a broad group of people should attempt to honor local individuals or a specific organization.
- Proclamations should not take sides in matters of political controversy; nor should they address personal or individual convictions.
- Multiple requests by the same organization will not be honored within the same calendar year.
- Every request must gain official approval before being issued.
- The Town Clerk reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
- Please note that proclamations will be delivered no more than 5 days in advance of the proclamation date.
What to Include
- Contact person's first and last name, address and telephone number.
- A brief summary and/or background of the event or organization.
- The name and date(s) of the day, week, month, or event to be proclaimed.
- Proposed text for the proclamation, including 4 to 6 “Whereas” clauses.
- An indication of whether the completed proclamation should be mailed (standard U.S. mail) or if you will pick it up.
- A date when the proclamation is needed.