I just moved into the Town of Warrenton. How do I get my water turned on?

New residents should contact Town Hall (540) 347-2678). You will need the following information when you call:

  • Street address where service is to be connected
  • Social Security Number and employment information
  • Landlords name and address if renting
  • The date you need service to be connected

You may request water and sewer services be connected or disconnected using our online Water and Sewer Services Form. Please be sure to include a daytime telephone number so we may contact you with any questions.

Show All Answers

1. I just moved into the Town of Warrenton. How do I get my water turned on?
2. Where does the Town of Warrenton provide water and sewer services?
3. What are my options in paying my water, real estate or personal property tax bills?
4. What should I do if I am unable to pay my water bill or taxes before the due date?
5. I just moved into the Town of Warrenton. What do I do now?
6. I just purchased a new home. My real estate taxes are paid to my mortgage company as part of my monthly payment. How can I be certain the real estate taxes on my home are paid in a timely manner?
7. I will be moving out of Town next month. Is there anything I need to do before I leave?
8. I am a new resident and have a decal that does not expire until next year. Do I need to purchase a Town of Warrenton decal or is the one from the other jurisdiction good until the expiration date?
9. Why do I pay taxes to both the Town and the County and what does a Town resident get for paying these additional taxes?
10. Why is my water bill so high?
11. Why didn't I get my water bill in the mail?